[Jandek] Re: first time listening conditions

SAMUEL_MATHESON at acdi-cida.gc.ca SAMUEL_MATHESON at acdi-cida.gc.ca
Fri Aug 20 07:26:43 PDT 2004

 D> So any day now ( hopefully ) I should be receiving my first Jandek
 D> cd's. I selected Six and Six and Chair beside the Window.  What do I
 D> need to do to prepare?? Should I listen to a CD straight through? Do
 D> you recommend cocktails or should I be sober? Is it advisable to be
 D> laying down?? Should I wait until it is dark??  thoughts anyone????
 >
 >I recommend going for a walk where there are no people.

I would second that - esp. if you could arrange the walk in an older area
of town on an overcast day.  Late at night (1-4 am) is also very good.
Jandek's music has a 'haunted' quality to me that is best brought out in
environments like this.

Also, I don't know if you're familiar with the graphic novels of the artist
Seth, but they've a wistful melancholic quality (if that's not redundant?)
that also goes well w/ Jandek's acoustic stuff and are well worth checking
out in any event